Thursday, June 27, 2013

Alaskan summers and paradise dreams part 2

 

     Some of the reasons people love Alaska are reasons that dont really apply to me. For example, I dont ski, snowboard, or snowmachine. Nor do I desire to, ( I once tried to snow machine.. total disaster). In fact, in all honesty, if its under 40 degrees I just do not desire to be outdoors. And in Alaska its under 40 degrees ALOT. In fact when its -10 or -15 I dread even going to Costco. Its pretty here, beautiful really. But Man O Man. The year before last it snowed 135 inches. You know how many feet that is?! Well my math skills aint real good  (ya I said aint... ) but its ALOT. Actually, I am 57 inches tall (so my suspended DL says) so its more than 2xs my height. And someone has to shovel all that. And I can tell you... as I am a girl.. it aint gonna be me. Sexism totally works for me, I AM from the south ya know, so my husband doesnt do dishes ... EVER, and I NEVER kill bugs or shovel snow. Its a southern gals privilege, if your married to a good ole boy who has clear ideas on the roles of a female, to define his roles for him as well. I dont kill bugs, take out garbage, shovel snow, or do anything with a vehicle other than look helpless at the mechanics. Really it works out just fine (except when he forgets to take out the garbage.. then he must face my wrath!).

    Anywho. The outdoor activities I do love are things like walking ( NOT interval walking!), biking (not up mountains or really anywhere I would need gears), looking at flowers, smelling the fresh air, looking at the ocean, looking at any body of water, swimming ( NOT in glacier fed streams, "lakes" or creeks), going to the zoo, looking at more flowers, sitting and reading in the shade, possibly gardening (if there arent too many bugs and I have garden gloves), riding in a convertible car or with a sunroof ( that counts right!?), going to the farmers market, going to ANY outdoor market, eating food I did not prepare Alfresco (its not as fun if you do all the cooking or cleaning up is it?), listening to music and watching others knit, floating down rivers slowly ( no white water rafting!), picking seashells, and sunbathing. See!? Maybe I was wrong I AM outdoorsy. There is a whole host of things I enjoy outside! Although going over my list... maybe its no surprise I need to loose a little ( ok ..ok.. ALOT) of weight.

    So I spend the majority of the year indoors with my heater turned up to a balmy 70 degrees ( making my gas bill more than my car payment) and waiting for summer. Praying for summer really. Wishing it didnt get dark at 4 pm. And trying to distract myself from the cold, dark , loooooonnnnggg winter. O and gaining weight.. lets not forget that part. I mean really I will never love working out indoors on a treadmill. And I do like pie ( cause who doesnt!?). So combine those two things with an unusually long winter and 3 babies in the last 6 years. Well. See? It could happen to anyone. I mean its not like I eat pie for breakfast topped with bacon. Although I kid you not Village Inn sells bacon topped pie. And Wednesday is free pie day. Just passing along good information for my fellow Alaskans who love pie, bacon, and free stuff.
                                                http://www.villageinn.com/pierushwednesday/
    Last year I went to Hawaii. It was a life changing experience. By the way... 10 days in Hawaii with your best friend and no kids or husbands is probably the best vacation ever hands down! Did you know ... its ALWAYS summer in Hawaii? And balmy? And basically a lovely paradise, perfect for doing all the outdoor activities I love. Guess how many times you shovel snow there? Or say... you feel your heart jump because you just saw a big black bear run through your yard in the middle of the city .. and your kids are playing in said yard? Or get chased by a cloud of man eating mosquitoes? Guess how many beaches have warning signs outlining the dangers of hypothermia. Ya... you see where I am going with this.
     But really its more than all that. Sometime in the last few years I have gotten tired of the rat race. I only get one life. And I don't want to build an empire. I don't need granite counter tops and a smart TV.  I don't desire to drive a Mercedes, or have an expensive purse collection, or a wardrobe in "season". Its O.K if all my things are shabby chic by necessity. Its O.K if I dye my hair... from a box. Its O.K if I never have matching silverware or fine china.In fact its more than O.K. I don't want it.

    I think the Lord has been revealing in my heart my lifes purpose. I used to think it was this big mystery and that someday Id awaken and just KNOW my lifes purpose. And of course it would be super amazing. Like curing cancer or solving world hunger. But that isnt how God works. And in the last few years His Holy Spirit has little by little been revealing His purpose for my life. AND. wow. It IS amazing. More than I could have ever asked. It basically boils down to this. Follow Jesus. Spread the Gospel. I know... really you can now pick your jaw off the floor. Maybe it shows the shallow deception in my own heart that it took me YEARS to see this. Yes, I have read my bible. But I suppose I didnt think He meant all that literally.

    There is a growing desire in my heart for serious lifestyle change. I have a great life. I have a husband that I love and I am still married to ( after 10 years Im pretty amazed at that) and who works hard (alot!), three healthy beautiful children, a very cute dog, a spacious house with a great yard and deck in a convenient, family friendly nieghborhood. I get to stay home and homeschool, and I also have friends whom I truly love and appreciate, as well as a "bosom friend" who I knew was a kindred spirit the moment we met. And I really love my church. I would be so sad to leave all that. But I crave simplicity. More and more I see the real meaning of life and its following Jesus and loving people. Its not saving for retirement and building your 401k. Or adding to your home until it resembles something on HGTV. I guess what I am getting at is I have become tired of the consumerism. Fed up with it. Really, I think its starting to disgust me.

    The best things in life are free. Too true. So now my aim is to spend my time in a way that glorifies God and serves my family best. Simplicity. I want less stuff. I want less bills. I want more savings.I want less T.V and more books. I want less cleaning and more fun time. I want enough free time to be able to stop and follow the Holy Spirit and serve God in many different ways. I want to enjoy every single sunny day ( we dont really get very many!). I want a different lifestyle. A simple, active lifestyle. One where I'm not so over worked and stressed out that I feel guilty for sitting quietly for a few moments. Where I can play games with the children. Read and write and learn new things. Sew and quilt. Think of new ways to bless my husband. And most importantly grow closer to Jesus.
                                                    (Hanalai bay in Kauai ...photo credit~ ME)
  I would prefer to do all of that in Hawaii. Where we can take daily walks to the beach, homeschool outside on the lanai', snorkel, hike, and eat fresh avocados. Its a different lifestyle than what I have here. And why not? When you only have one life... and I'm not building an empire. Its ok if the cost of living is high there... its high here too. Ill drive less and live in a smaller house. Really with daily trips to the beach I think Ill cope. So its a goal of mine. Drop everything and move to Hawaii! Sounds nuts huh?

1 comment:

  1. A Note* This post was written about a month ago and I was just taking my sweet time editing and publishing. It is one of the reasons the next post is O so amazing!

    ReplyDelete